This video only mentions the reasons why to avoid restaurants, I actually think that the same applies to fast food, chilled, frozen and any processed meals. It is incredible how the younger generation are not taught to cook and think that food comes only readymade. You don’t need to start making your own butter or cheese (some people do) but you can start cooking with fresh ingredients.
Five Top reasons why home cooking wins
For me health will always be the number one reason but I have listed other reasons in no particular order.
- Home cooking is healthier for you. You can choose it to be low-fat, low-carb, low calories.
- You can use real vanilla, real garlic, real anything and really the taste is different with real flavors.
- You have the choice not to include genetically modified sources.
- You can include farm-grown or organic ingredients
- There is no better taste than home cooking. You won’t find ready made meals or fast food that taste as good. You might find superb tasting food in the very expensive restaurants but then not many of us can frequent them daily!
- Many ready made foods use substitutes to replace real foodstuff, eg egg substitute, margarine instead of butter. (Yes I am a believer that butter, a natural product, is better than processed margarine)
- You can put the best ingredients if you so wish.
- You will be surprised that you can produce healthy and tasteful home cooking at very little cost. Buying fast foods and ready made meals can cause a huge dent in a family’s budget.
- Do a test and do not buy pre-packaged lunch for a week and take lunch prepared at home and you will be amazed at the amount you save.
4. Creativity and stress reliever
- You can be creative, artistic and imaginative. You will look forward to finding great recipes. Just think of an ingredient you want to use and you can find 1000s of recipes by googling it. There are some incredible blogs about home cooking with amazing recipes.
- Soon your creative side will take over and you will find imaginative ideas on how to present your cooking.
- There is so much to gain and nothing to lose, try it and you will find that your stress levels reduce as well. There is nothing like making a quick home meal after a stressful day. Imagine yourself kneading your troubles away 🙂
5. Family time
- You will notice if you are preparing a cooked meal that other members of the family will soon join in. The younger generation soon will offer to help create the meal.
- You can spend a whole day/evening by making a batch of home cooking for freezing or make more and freeze one or two extra portions.
- Make use of crock pots / slow cookers in the UK. You can set the cooker to cook your meal whilst out at work and then in the evening when you come home from work you have a ready cooked fresh meal.
My own experience
I was the typical result of the late 20th century. Back in the 80s I embraced ready meals with the zest of a new convert. Although I have always been interested in healthy living, I seemed to ignore all my knowledge and continue buying processed foods.
It was only last year, when I started the HCG diet, that I realized if I wanted to maintain my weight I had to change my eating habits and eat home cooked meals. I am not evangelical about it, I still go to restaurants and cafes.
For example, while I like making my own tomato sauce for casseroles (the recipe is HERE) I sometimes buy passata (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tomato_pur%C3%A9e) and chopped tomatoes in tins. I love the taste of my own frittatas and casseroles.
Further reading CLICK HERE